Spammers on FFXiScripting

Check out the latest Burnersware Site and Software News in here
burners
Site Admin

I plan to really get into the PHPBB code and trying to stop these spammers early next month after I move. I am really sick of deleting and banning people and I know most members dont even see the half of it because most post are pending approval but there is a lot and it needs to be delt with in a very heavy handed manner since everything else we have tried has only slowed down the spamming but it hasnt solved it completely yet. If you see these post please dont think the forums have gone to shit and that we dont care any more what happens on here. We are working daily to keep the spam post from cluttering up the forums and the problem is some sort of security loophole in the PHPBB code itself so it very hard for us to solve without really getting into the PHP code and none of us here are professional PHP / Web designers.

I just thoguht Id get that out there as something to look forward to
Hammy025
Site Admin

I for one really appreciate the post and second what Burners said about people not seeing the majority of the spam. Much of it gets stopped by either "pending approval" flags or gets deleted by our moderators before most people log on. Just wanted to weigh in.
Hammy025
Site Admin

As I post this there is a spam post right above mine. I'm sure it'll be gone soon, but I just wanted to have a quick laugh over the irony.
stingray3069

Why yes, because clearly advertising medication on a forum for games is the best choice. -.- SPAM wouldn't be SPAM if they actually used a brain with their so-called marketing skills.
whopper
Pro Botter

all forums get spammed there are bots cralling for forums to post links i get 50-100 a week the more stuff you make a requirement and must be approved before they can post gets rid of most and depending on what forum your using there are ban lists for know offenders.
Hammy025
Site Admin

We do a lot of IP filtering. I normally check where the IP is registered and if it's one of the major "spam nations", i.e. Russia, China, Poland, I'll filter out a large chunk of IP's. Problem is, I have no idea how much it actually helps lol.
stingray3069

I think we are seeing less of it slipping through. It's just that when a user does slip through they manage to get a number of posts in before we can get in there clean it up and ban the user.
Hammy025
Site Admin

And credit where credit is due, stingray has been doing the lion's share of keeping out the nasties.
/em (Thunder)ous applause for <Stingray>!!!
stingray3069

/blush Thank you!

It's nice to be able to do something useful, even if it's something simple as this. I'm still a tad leery about banning people (but not as bad as I was in the beginning), but Hammy seems to stay on top of that. /bow
stingray3069

Oh wow... /muted

Words fail me. Sorry about that.
ReyRey
L33t Botter

anyone notice the spam bots hit this post the most. i find it ironically funny /laugh
burners
Site Admin

Non-Paid Users can no longer post until I have time to do more cleanup on the forums of spam accounts that already exixts and I want to create a button right on the post that allows immediate deletion of all posts by X user and deletion of their account and IP all in one button press.

Once I get that done and the new captcha working to make sure no new accounts pop up after I cleanup the old ones, then and only then I will re-enable non paid member posting.
Hammy025
Site Admin

Awesome, thank you ^.^b

Return to “Site & Software News”