Site Went Down Today 8-24-12

Check out the latest Burnersware Site and Software News in here
burners
Site Admin

I apologize for the site being down today. I don't know how long it was down for, I didn't catch it until I went into work and tried to check my mail and then went to log into the server around 10am. The whole server was partially down not just this site which made it more difficult to fix the issue because at first the only tool I had available was a remote SSH shell session through Putty which for someone like me who isn't exactly a Linux guru that isn't very much. I found the issue was because the partition where the websites and most other things reside filled up and ran out of space, I'm not sure if this happened naturally (I.e. websites growing and updates being installed on the server), or if it was an outside attack of some sort like spamming of data uploads on one of my sites, or if it was the web site log files which I cleared out because some of them where actually pretty large.

The server running out of space causes everything to go haywire and one of the tables in the site database became corrupted but luckily running a repair command on the table fixed it without losing any data and it doesn't appear any other tables where affected.

That's all I got for now, I know some members are always curious as to what happened when the site is down so I figured instead of answering emails and PM's individually I would make a post so anyone curious can read it.
burners
Site Admin

Also for those wondering what I am doing to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future I don't quite have an answer yet. The biggest issue is when renting a dedicated server from 1&1 or just about any host for that matter it's pretty expensive compared to general website hosting on a shared server and one area they always get you on is space. I don't know why other than for them to make more money because on a shared server you get something like 500GB of space for only $5 a month where as I only have 15GB.

I do know of a way I can increase how much space I have without losing any data because it appears my server has large hard drives but they only gave me 15GB of space when my server was setup.

The only issue with that is I have done it 3 times and the first time it went off without a hitch, the second time was after I had my server reloaded with a newer version of Centos and it caused major problems. My server was completely down, I couldn't even SSH into it. I had to call 1&1 and they put it into some sort of recovery mode and I was luckily able to get it up and running again without losing everything. The third time everything ended up working out in the end but I did run into some problems and things didn't go like they did the first time or like it was described in the rough guide I was following.

I'm going out of town this weekend so I don't know if I want to touch it before then and I don't think it will run out again for a little while anyway. I don't know I will figure it out before the end of my work day and decide if I want to mess with it before I leave or not. Oh and in case you didn't figure it out on your own I am sure that what I am doing is not allowed by 1&1 and I don't know what they would do if they found out I am using more space than what is included in my hosting plan. I'm not sure if they would just take it back and say screw my data to bad so sad or if they would figure out how much extra data I am using and bill me for it which is kinda scary because I looked into purchasing extra data space in the past and it wasn't cheap.
ReyRey
L33t Botter

thanks for the post and letting us know what happened :). would trimming out years old posts make any difference?
burners
Site Admin

I fixed the issue today and it shouldnt ever happen again. I was able to increase the server space without any major issues. I noticed it was down again today when I got into work so I figured I might as well go for it and try to get it resolved otherwise I was going to be battling this every week.
burners
Site Admin

ReyRey wrote:thanks for the post and letting us know what happened :). would trimming out years old posts make any difference?
I have done that in the past and it does make a little difference but nothing really significant as a long term fix. I dont really like to delete information that cant be recovered unless I have no other options.
Lillisette
Advanced Botter

Holy smoke website was down for almost 2 weeks o.o
ReyRey
L33t Botter

i was a little worried myself, but iocaines worked great thru the whole down time so i figured we werent getting burned /lolcry (no pun intended) by a site bail out. not that i didnt check each day /8( its nice to be back

Return to “Site & Software News”