Mac computers, FFXI and your picky loved ones.

Post anything FFXI releated in here.
freekyboy05
Mod in Training

I hope the subject is self explanatory. What I'm trying to prevent here is an issue I've recently come across. And that is the issue of, someone you love very much loves Mac computers. Yet at the same time they wanna play ffxi with you using a computer. Yes we could just say play on the Xbox. However that would mean they would have to play on a closed sourced system. Which in the end would mean that loved one couldn't use programs they are downloadable on this site. So what do you do? Well if your a straight up techie like me I'm sure you have already suggested to dual boot her computer. And like me I'm sure your loved one said something like "Windows, on my beauitful MAC!?? Oh he'll no!!". Well, whatI suggested was virtual ware for Mac. Install it and add windows and show your loved one that virtual ware won't work. Then let them fume that their Mac sucks. However don't make fun of their Mac, mind you. You don't want them defending the action of their Mac. Let them figure out on their own. Only hinting along the way that ffxi only works for windows. Once they get all pissed and give you the go ahead to help them, install a hard version of a dual boot.

Now I've found a good was of dual booting into windows 7 and Max OS. Just use boot camp. If your unsure what boot camp is, it's a program apple has designed to make dual booting into windows easy. All you have to do is use spotlight to find the boot camp assist. Once you find the program, you can either print out instructions and do it step by step. Or you can do what I did and just figure it out of the fly. It's more fun the way I did it but a bit more complicated. :P

In the end I guess what I've learned is that no matter how much your loved one likes Mac, it's no match for a good dual boot. I admire apples love for their Macs and their SWEET addvertisment and great customer support. However windows game support is what holds my heart. Hope this helps someone. If not, hey I tried. :P
burners
Site Admin

My primary computer is a 2011 Macbook Pro.
I wanted something of quality and something powerful when I decided to upgrade my previous laptop and although I found some other nice laptops (This was pre-Ultra Book Spec) There really wasnt anything that screamed quality like the all aluminum uni-body MacBook Pro with hidden exhaust vents, beautiful screen (I popped for the higher res screen), INSANE Battery Life (this was the BIGGEST seller for me), Core i7 Processor, ATI Gaming Capable Graphics with Intel Onboard Graphics for when you don't need the extra horsepower, and so on.

I since have upgraded the ram to an unheard of (for a laptop) 16GB and was able to decommission my home office PC which I primarily used for running Virtual Machine's for testing various things, light gaming and some programming. I since have turned the Office PC into a home server running Windows Home Server 2011. Running VM's take's a lot of ram when you get 4-6 going at once so 16GB is the minimum for what I needed. I upgraded the hard drive to a 750GB WD Black Edition and modded the front light so it shows HD Activity (See my Gripes below).

However I do dual boot my Mac, Mostly just for gaming since 70-80% of the games on steam aren't OSX compatible. Everything else I do in OSX, I first tested the waters with OSX on a 20" iMac 2006? It was one of the first Intel iMac's and after upgrading it as far as I could I decided I could do just about everything on a Mac and most things just worked better. I have the full Microsoft Office suite including Outlook and it works flawlessly with my companies Exchange server, setting it up was easier in fact than setting up an Exchange Outlook Anywhere account on a Windows box remotely.

I found OSX to be very much like Linux (I know its basically BSD) in terms of control ability. At first i thought it was extremely locked down but after getting into it I found you can really get deep into the OS and do just about anything.

The system didn't come without its flaws though,
The High Res screen still isn't 1080p but its so close it just doesn't make sense why its not
The ATI Graphics weren't the top of the line like they should have been for the price nor was there any option to upgrade them beyond the 2 models offered
The laptop had no HD Activity which I took care of and documented in this post
https://www.davidorlo.com/articles/mods- ... -light-mod

Don't get me wrong I still have my Windows PC's as well. My primary work computer at the office is a Windows PC, My Home Server is running Windows Home Server 2011, I have my main media center which run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and a media extender running Windows Ultimate 64. When it comes to media center software I think Windows trumps OSX any day of the week. My dad would argue with me showing me the features of his 1st Gen Apple TV and then I showed him how I could access all my pictures, music, movies & DVD's from the Home Server on both of my media pc's. Then I went on to show him how I watch, record and pause live TV on both of my media pc's using only 1 digital quad tuner which is located in the Home Server, and access the recorded TV on both media center pc's. I showed him how I get all the same channels as he does including paid and HD channels from my Ceton Quad TV tuner. I can listen to OTA radio or digital radio, watch podcasts, and the coolest thing of all.... Play games in high def on my LCD TV with the settings cranked to the max running on my 2 ATI Radeon 5870's in crossfire, often times the games look even better than they do on an xBox 360 and I get to use an Xbox 360 controller with my media pc. I can even watch copy protected Blu-Rays using the software that came with my PC Blu-Ray player.
Effectively this one box replaces several boxes including, Xbox 360 & emulates several other gaming systems (Even Plays PS1 games from the discs), Blu-Ray player, DVD Player, Video Media Player, MP3 Player, Digital Photo Frame (Has a cool built in slideshow), Tivo or other TV Recorder, Digital Cable Box, Internet Radio Player, Over the Air Radio, Internet enabled TV for viewing things like weather, sports stats and so on. It's a true all in one device, I'd like to see an Apple TV do that ;)

Return to “FFXI General Chat”